I’m a parent or carer

A family with grandparentsThe Dorset CAMHS service doesn't just provide support to children and young people who are experiencing mental health difficulties – we also offer support to parents and carers too, and in many cases we work closely with the family as a whole to agree and provide the best treatment for a young person under our care.

Whether they're toddlers or teenagers, children and young people need emotional support. If you're a parent or carer and are worried your child may be facing difficulties with their mental health, or you just need a little advice about how to help their wellbeing, the information below may be useful.

It's also a good idea to talk to your GP, and encourage your child to do the same – the advice in our section on Starting Conversations can help with that.