Who do we help?

CAMHS offers assessment and treatment to children and young people up the age of 18 who are experiencing significant mental health difficulties. We also provide support to families and carers. We provide these services across Dorset, with main bases in Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth, Blandford and Dorchester.

Children and young people

If you are a young person and are concerned about your mental health, talking to someone who knows you – such as your parents, carers or a teacher – is a good place to start. Together, you can then contact a GP, school nurse (you can text them directly at 07480 635511) or social worker, who can advise on the sort of help you might need. If appropriate, they will arrange an appointment for you with CAMHS. Find more advice on who to talk to in our section on Getting the Support you Need.

You can also find more advice on feelings and emotions, as well as tips for looking after yourself and more, in our section I'm a Young Person

Parents and carers

If you are the parent or carer of a young person and you have concerns about their mental health and emotional wellbeing, you can speak to a range of professionals. These include GPs, teachers, school nurses, primary mental health workers, social workers, educational welfare officers, behavioural support workers and educational psychologists, as well as paediatric and adult mental health staff.

Find more advice in our section for Parents or Carers.

A family of four